TikTok has 1 billion users around the world. Naturally, many business owners are curious whether they should be on this highly popular social media platform. In this quick tips episode, Mari-Liis Vaher uncovers 5 important facts about TikTok that help you understand the platform better!
We are sure that you have heard about TikTok and if you are over 30 years old, then I’m pretty sure you’ve always thought that it is a channel for teenagers where they do silly challenges and dance routines. Well, we have to be honest, for a couple of years now, we have not paid that much attention to TikTok either.
But when we saw the statistics on TikTok’s growth over the past 3 years, it became clear to us that we can no longer ignore it.
In fact, by the end of 2021, there were already 1 billion users on TikTok which is actually almost the same as on Instagram. So, there is no denying - TikTok is big and it is not only for teenagers. So, we looked up some interesting facts on TikTok and Mari-Liis want's to share 5 important ones with you, so that you can analyze whether TikTok is a channel that would work for your business as well.
5 important facts about TikTok:
- Number one: TikTok was the most downloaded app of 2021 with over 600 million downloads! In total, the TikTok app has been downloaded more than 3 billion times and currently, in 2022, it is the 6th most-used social platform in the world. Crazy, right?!
- Fact number two. When we look at the demographics, then it is slightly more popular with females - 57% of TikTok users are women. In terms of age, according to TikTok’s data made available for advertisers, around 44% of app users are aged 18-24, around 32% are aged 25-34 and around 13% of users are aged 35-44. Of course, there are younger and older users as well, but since TikTok does not allow you to advertise to minors, we don’t have the exact statistics on the usage by kids. However, you may be surprised that there are 30 million users around the world who are older than 55, so definitely this channel is not for teenagers only.
- Another interesting fact is that on average TikTok users spend around 20 hours per month on TikTok. This is the same amount of time that people spend on Facebook and just a few hours less than time spent on YouTube. So, TikTok really has become an important source for news, education and entertainment.
- Fact number 4 is that TikTok is said to be the most engaging social media platform with the average user session of over 10 minutes. This means that once people open the TikTok app, they typically spend around 10 minutes there before leaving. It is significantly more than for other social media platforms where people just quickly scroll through their news feed to see if there’s anything interesting.
- The next fact is important for all business owners. If you’ve been thinking that TikTok is only good for raising brand awareness, then think again! In fact, it is the number-one app for driving consumer spending. In 2021, users spent $2.3 billion dollars inside the app. According to TikTok’s own research, 67% of users say TikTok inspires them to shop. There is even a popular hashtag on TikTok called #TikTokMadeMeBuyIt and it had over 7.4 billion views in 2021.
So, there you have it, 5 important pieces of information on TikTok! We hope this episode was useful for you and gave you a bit more insight into TikTok and its potential for your business.
But again, remember that you don’t have to be on every platform just because they are popular. Do some research on where your target audience spends their time and then decide if it makes sense for you to add TikTok into your marketing channels or not. The only thing in marketing that works is consistency paired with clarity, so whatever you decide to do, just make sure that you remain consistent with it.