Confidence is the belief we have in ourselves and in our ability to succeed, and it is crucial in every powerful marketer’s life. This is why on the latest Powerful Marketer Talks webinar, we discussed how to build confidence as a marketer. Watch the full recording of the webinar at the end of the post!
Where does confidence come from?
According to Suzanne Roff, a psychologist, “confidence doesn’t exist in a vacuum”. This means that confidence does not only come from within, but there is another dimension which is often overlooked. How you build confidence is by interacting with the outside world. The more experience we gather in the outside world, the more secure we become in our abilities. So, to truly improve your level of confidence, you need to implement both inner and outer work.
- Inner work: MIP (most-important-person = YOU) meetings, meditation, therapy, coaching, assertiveness trainings, etc.
- Outer work: engaging in new activities, getting out of your comfort zone frequently, spending time in a positive and supportive environment.
The level of confidence you have right now is not set in stone. Just like any other skill you have, you can become better at it. So, you can improve your confidence by discovering different tools and resources, and finding out what works best for you. But it always starts with a decision. You need to decide that building confidence is important for you. And you must be willing to move out of your comfort zone to achieve that goal.
Golden Ratio of Powerfulness
The best way to train your confidence level is to work on different areas in your life in order to maintain a balanced lifestyle. We call it the Golden Ratio of Powerfulness and the sweet spot is where your efforts on improving your skills, your mind and physical body meet. When you do this consistently, people immediately and naturally feel drawn to you. Because when you feel powerful, you ARE powerful enough to handle risks and challenges head-on. And that is irresistible to people.
Grow your confidence intellectually
This includes your skills and knowledge on different subtopics in your life.
- Be mindful about your work & career
- It all starts with knowing where you are and in which areas you want to grow. When you have a clear idea of your skills, and you assess how far you have come already, your confidence grows, because you get a sense of achievement.
- Create money and time
- Control your finances and time or they will end up controlling you.
- To improve your financial literacy, start by reading the classic books: “The Richest Man in Babylon” by George S. Clason, and “Rich Dad Poor Dad” by Robert Kiyosaki.
- To better manage your time, implement the 8-8-8 principle in your life, where you are mindful about where you spend your 24 hours: 8 hours for work, 8 hours for resting and 8 hours for recreation and family.
- Accept your social and cultural background
- People often feel held back by their social or cultural background, but instead of disowning your past, accept and acknowledge it for making you the kind of person you are today. Accept the challenges and be thankful for the experiences.
- Improve your skill to use information
- You need to be able to distinguish opinion from fact and advice from truth. This is where your skill to use information comes into play. Don’t allow any incoming piece of information to derail you from your purpose and your goal. Learn to differentiate important things from the so-called white noise, and look for relevant sources.
Grow your confidence physically
This includes your health and diet, your fitness and the fun and enjoyable activities in your life.
- Improve your health
- The focus here is on well-balanced nutrition and plenty of rest, so that your body has energy to do the things you want to do. You have one life, one body, treat it well. The best medicine to disease is prevention, and a healthy lifestyle is a huge factor in that.
- Work on your fitness
- It’s been proven that any kind of exercise you do reduces stress and anxiety, both of which otherwise interferes with your thought processes. Even 10 minutes of exercise per day is better than nothing.
- Schedule joy
- Have date nights, play dates, fun moments alone and with friends. Whatever it is that you enjoy doing, make sure to schedule it regularly into your calendar. If it’s in the calendar, and you see it when you make commitments to other people, you can already say that you are busy during that time slot, and it’s better to agree to a meeting on another day or time.
Grow your confidence psychologically
This includes your personal and spiritual growth, dreams and goals, and how you service others.
- Focus on personal and spiritual growth
- Think about those people with whom you interact regularly. Are they bringing you positivity and happiness and motivation, or are they more often bringing you down? Think of a room, as small as 5x5m, and people can only come in but they can’t go out anymore. Who would you really like to have there with you? Who do you admire because of their achievements, and who are the people you want to learn from? Surround yourself with supportive, positive and inspiring people!
- Work on your dreams and goals
- Work with your vision and purpose regularly. Visualize yourself in 5 or 10 years time, living the life of your dreams. Having the career of your dreams, the family of your dreams, the home of your dreams – visualize it all down to the smallest detail. Your vision and purpose are what drives you and gives your life meaning, and they can motivate you on those days when you’re just not feeling up for it. And remember, just start with the first step. It might be a tiny one, but it always counts. Without taking the first step, nobody accomplishes anything. And if you’re not feeling motivated, you can always break that tiny first step into even tinier bits. Just keep on going, and don’t give up.
- Be of service to others
- By being valuable and appreciated by others can we sense our higher worth. So, build your confidence by helping others. It can be about volunteering your time or services, giving money to those in need, connecting people, or just doing some favors. By giving back, you make a difference in the lives of others. By helping others, you feel more valued yourself, you gain confidence and self-esteem, and you start to see things in a new perspective.
Building your confidence starts with raising awareness, but make sure that action follows that awareness. Implement new activities into your daily routine, practice mindfulness, push yourself out of your comfort zone, and soon you’ll start to see a change in yourself. And not long after that, other people will start to see that, too. So, don’t wait for some miracle to bring you everything you’ve ever wanted. You are capable of achieving your dreams. You just need to empower yourself to go after what you want!
#confidence #selfdevelopment #inspiration #motivation #empower #happiness #balancedlife #joy #longevity #routine #growth #psychology #marketers #wellbeing