In this podcast episode, Mari-Liis Vaher from Powerful Marketers speaks with voiceover expert Julie Williams about the benefits of using voice-overs in marketing. They discuss the various ways voice-overs can enhance message delivery and engage audiences, including the use of professional voiceover talent.
Julie Williams is a seasoned voiceover expert with a wealth of experience in helping businesses leverage audio in their marketing strategies. Her expertise spans various applications such as commercials, narrations, eLearning projects, explainer videos, audiobooks, infomercials, phone systems and more. Julie also acts as a coach, helping other voiceover professionals refine their craft and become better at what they do. You can find her online at voiceovermomentum.com where she showcases her work and offers connections with a network of other voiceover professionals.
In the dynamic world of marketing, where captivating audiences is paramount, there exists a secret weapon that can elevate your brand messaging to new heights: voiceovers. From commercials to e-learning and podcasts to phone systems, discover the ways voiceovers can leave a lasting impression on your target audience.
Using Audio in Marketing & Voice-Overs
In the realm of marketing, audio has become a tool that can captivate audiences and create a lasting impact. There are multiple ways businesses can incorporate voiceovers into their marketing strategies. These include:
- Commercials: Whether it's a YouTube advertisement, broadcast media spot, or website promotion, a professional voiceover can connect with your target audience effectively.
- Orientations and Trainings: Voiceovers can be instrumental in providing training materials for staff, covering topics like HR policies, insurance programs, and benefits plans.
- E-learning: Voiceovers play a vital role in delivering online courses, certifications, and compliance training, enabling businesses to educate and engage their workforce effectively.
- Tutorials and Explainer Videos: By using voiceovers, companies can create engaging tutorials and explainer videos that help users understand software functionalities and product features.
- Sales Training: Professional voiceovers are employed to educate sales teams on product benefits, enabling them to effectively convey the value proposition to clients.
- Podcasts and YouTube Channels: Voiceovers lend a distinct personality to podcasts and YouTube channels, leaving a memorable impression on listeners and viewers.
- Phone Systems: An often-overlooked aspect, phone system voiceovers are crucial for providing a positive customer experience and leaving a professional impression.
- Audiobooks: For solopreneurs and industry experts, voiceovers offer an opportunity to enhance credibility by voicing their books and reaching wider audiences.
The Pros and Cons of AI Voiceover vs. Human Voiceover
While AI technology has made significant strides, there are distinct advantages to working with professional voiceover talents. Let's explore the pros and cons of AI voiceovers:
- Breathing and Natural Cadence: AI lacks the ability to breathe, resulting in robotic speech that lacks the natural cadence found in human conversation.
- Appropriate Pausing and Phrasing: AI often fails to use appropriate pauses and phrasing, leading to sentences with improper breaks and incorrect emphasis.
- Handling Quotations and Inflection: AI struggles to distinguish quotations and frequently misplaces inflection, making it challenging to convey nuanced meaning and emotions.
- Lack of Personality and Instinct: Professional voiceover talents infuse personality and instinct into their performances, bringing scripts to life and creating a memorable experience for the audience.
Voiceovers are a powerful tool in marketing that can elevate brand messaging and engage audiences on a deeper level. While AI technology shows promise, it still falls short of replicating the human touch and nuanced performances provided by professional voiceover talents. By partnering with experienced voiceover experts, businesses can enhance their marketing efforts and create a lasting impact.
- “Many people that own businesses like to voice their own stuff because maybe they have a good voice, so they think they can just do as well as a professional. But that's really not necessary because you can do a better job by hiring somebody who can connect with your audience better and it really doesn't cost as much as you might think." (00:02:37)
- "AI isn't quite there yet when it comes to voiceover. I guess that'd be kind of like having AI write an article and you don't proofread it before you put it up.” (00:03:09)
- “Especially if you really don't know anything about the voiceover industry or you have the preconceived notion that you really can't afford it, then I understand why you would do it. But there are lots of skills that AI doesn't have. ” (00:06:43)
- “AI doesn't breathe sometimes. In fact, I never hear AI breathe.” (00:07:05)
- “The thing about voiceover is not just that the voice says the words. You could do that. If you're going to go to AI, just do it yourself. But get a professional to present the words with personality." (00:08:05)
- “If you tell them that they'll have a lot of repeat work, don't use that as a negotiating tactic. Ask them if you give discounts on repeat work.” (00:15:14)
- “Audiobooks are very inexpensive. They don't pay well to the talents at all. And occasionally you can get a talent who's newer if you like how they do it. They just need to get experience.” (00:16:17)
- [00:03:42] The versatility of voiceovers: From commercials to e-learning.
- [00:06:13] The Pros and Cons of AI Voiceover vs Human Voiceover.
- [00:14:01] Negotiating and Hiring Voiceover Talents for Your Business.
Connect with Julie Williams: