Many marketers are overworked, underpaid, and underappreciated. Close to the point of burnout. Their colleagues and their boss think they are just the guys that do the advertising in the business, or maybe just spend their time on Facebook and Instagram. Whereas, in fact, marketer’s job entails so much. How to raise the level of confidence you yourself and others have in you? What are the key areas you need to consistently work on to generate success consistently? This is what we discussed on our last week’s Powerful Marketer Talks webinar “What Does It Take to Be a Powerful Marketer?”. Watch the full recording at the end of the post!
The typical tasks of marketers
Others may perceive marketing as just advertising, thinking “It’s not that hard of a job, you just think of fun campaigns.” Whereas in reality, a marketer needs to be a great project manager, needs to be able to think outside the box and also be good with numbers, as well as with communicating and leading people. Of course, it’s hard to categorize all the tasks a marketer needs to do, as these vary greatly from industry to industry, and from company to company. But a very general overview would look something like that:
- Strategy & tactical plan: gathering intel from different departments, from research, from competitors, from articles, books, trends and so on, in order to come up with a long-term vision and a tactical plan on how to get there. That includes budgeting your activities, knowing and understanding a bit of Excel and numbers in general.
- Project management: there’s usually very many little projects happening simultaneously, and depending on the activity, you need to start preparing for it maybe even months in advance. For example, if the project is creating a new website, you need to start many months in advance, by thinking through the necessary functionalities, consulting with web developers, gathering quotations, ordering the design, copywriting and so on.
- Communication and coordination: that’s a huge part, especially if you have team members or if you outsource some of the activities. You need to make sure everyone is on the same page, everyone is on track and so on. And of course, you need to communicate the important things to your boss and to other departments as well, so that the whole company can be on the same page.
- Content creation: blog posts, social media posts, website texts, newsletters, videos – there’s so much content that needs to be done, or if you have somebody else who does the copywriting, you still need a lot of time to give them the necessary information.
- Creativity: marketing and creativity go hand in hand. You need to be able to think out of the box and to visualize something that does not yet exist. You need to work closely with the designer to make your ideas come alive.
- Digital marketing: if you don’t do it on your own, then at least you need to understand it to evaluate whether your service providers do a good job. There’s social media ads, digital and search ads, website SEO, tracking landing pages, Facebook Pixels and so on. A lot of codes and a lot of HTML!
- Hands-on activities: at the end of the day, there are just a lot of things that you need to do on your own. Whether it’s sending out the company newsletter 3 times a week, or tracking metrics every week, or having meetings with different people… The days just go by very fast.
However, not being able to communicate the importance of your tasks to your boss or to other departments may result in them limiting your success. It’s in the hands of every marketer to take control of their life! And the only way to do that is to empower yourself as a person, so that you are confident, you understand the connections in business, you are a great leader and communicator. And as a result, you can take charge of the marketing and show to the CEO or the business owner what should be done, and why.
If you want to be a powerful marketer and a powerful person, you need to take responsibility for your own happiness, success and life. You need to determine these critical aspects of your life that bring you the most joy and make you feel the most alive. Because we all have limited time on this Earth, and the biggest mistake we can make is to keep postponing our true happiness by being preoccupied with daily tasks and just getting through the day.
You cannot be an excellent professional if you are unhappy in your personal life, which is why we believe there are 5 key result areas for any successful marketer:
- Powerful Mindset: If your mindset fails you, if you allow yourself to be led by fear and self-doubt and negativity, it is impossible to achieve the things you want. Mindset is the way we choose to see the world. Is it in black and white or in full color for you? Do you focus on the negativity or gratitude and positivity? Because wherever you choose to put your focus, that is what you will get in return.
- Powerful Solutions Creation: The fundamental knowledge we have in our subconscious mind is what helps us make better decisions. Is your basic understandings of marketing, business, sales, customer service and psychology based on trustworthy and relevant information? Without fully understanding the fundamental truths, every new piece of information you receive will be built on a shaky ground. And this will cause you to doubt yourself, change your opinions, and contradict yourself in different situations.
- Powerful Strategy Generation: Marketer’s success is not a funnel. It is a repeatable cycle. It relies on long-lasting principles you can harness and master. In marketing, how do you know if you are using the right channels & activities for your market? How can you ensure you are complying with Global Marketing Legislation? And how can you deal with FOMO and still be up-to-date with the latest trends? Understanding these topics allows you to craft a powerful strategy, a tactical plan and a metrics system which you can use in your work to be so much more efficient and successful.
- Powerful Communication Literacy: there is no use in beautiful plans and strategies if you cannot get others on board. Think, do you dare to say “no” to your colleagues or maybe even your boss, if you truly believe what they suggest is not the best course of action right now? How to understand and communicate your ideas to anyone? How to inspire people from different age groups? These are really valid questions and instead of just guessing and shooting in the dark, get acquainted with the powerful Life Curve theory, as well as the different personality types.
- Powerful Leadership: You need to be able to keep your action plan in motion and to hold yourself and your team accountable. Remember, it all starts with creating the right emotions! We are all emotional beings and we crave for a bigger purpose or a bigger meaning behind our actions. Only by catering to that need can we trigger a chain of reaction that ends with creating the powerful results you desire.
You can become so much more and accomplish so much more by working on your own success. Think, who do you want to be as a marketer over the next 5 to 10 years? Do you think this change will happen on its own or do you need to take action and choose to develop yourself? Work on your own success now, and become that self-confident inspiring marketer you know you can be!
For a more detailed overview of this important subject, watch the full webinar recording below!
#powerfulmarketers #selfdevelopment #growth #principles #marketer #marketing #sales #customservice #psychology #happymarketer #success #successjourney #makingchange #leading #leadership #goals #vision #mindset #mindful #possibilities #inspiration