Being a marketer at a time like this can be a scary thing. There’s so much uncertainty, misinformation, confusion and lack of trust; and all of that may even lead to feelings of powerlessness. How can you help yourself in a situation like this, so that you remain strong and are able to come out on top of this and any future crises? In Powerful Marketers webinar “How to Grow As a Marketer in Chaos?”, we shared some of the ideas that are beneficial to every marketer facing uncertainty. Watch the webinar in full at the end of the post! Here is an overview of key discussion points!
What are some of the main challenges for marketers right now?
- Lack of trust: fear and uncontrollability lead to distrust, whether it comes from business owners, service providers, customers, team members, or even from yourself about your own abilities and knowledge.
- Miscommunication is very likely to happen, when people with whom you are used to working side-by-side, are now all connecting remotely. Add a bit of stress, unclarity and negative emotions, and you have the perfect recipe for disaster.
- Lack of clarity: who is doing what in the team? How and what to delegate? What is everybody even supposed to be doing? What are the short-term priorities for the business? Is there a crisis plan?
- Lack of self-confidence: all the previous points combined can easily harm your self-confidence. You may even be thinking: “What am I supposed to be doing? How do I know what is right?”
- Risk of burnout: working from home can easily ruin any daily schedule, which may result in working 24/7, while being under stress. Not to mention the chaos in your routines, as the whole family is at home. Trying to do everything at once and perfectly is a dangerous path.
- Losing work or being forced to do nothing: this directly challenges our basic needs, as there is no security towards future. You may be worrying about your income, your prospects of getting a new job, your skills and ability to adapt.
Acknowledge your fears and analyze how likely it actually is that they will come true. Is there something that you could do right now to help yourself improve and overcome the obstacles? Don’t allow yourself to victimize yourself. Yes, things are hard. But constantly looking for negativity will not give you hope and positivity in return. You are the only one who can help yourself out of this crisis! If you have more time right now, – great! – use it as an advantage to grow yourself and get ahead of those who decided not to do anything but wait.
What helps you grow in these situations:
- Understand the foundations of your identity. The way we see ourselves is actually the perception of how we think others see us. We are heavily influenced by our social, cultural and educational background, as well as our experiences and the skill to use information. Through understanding the foundations of your identity, you are able to see the areas of your growth journey.
- Analyze, where you are at the Marketer’s BPS Pyramid. Based on the Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs, the Marketer’s BPS Pyramid highlights the different growth stages for marketers. Right now, the majority of us have gone a few steps down, as we are all fighting to feel safe again. By understanding where you are today, and knowing where you want to go, you have a blueprint for your success. You can test yourself on the Marketer’s BPS Pyramid in our Free Resources program HERE!
- Notice the signs of anxiety and help reduce it in your life. Is your anxiety the result of an unbalanced lifestyle, distractions, information overload or addiction? Uncovering that will give you the tools to get your anxiety under control, and be more productive.
- 8-8-8 time management principle. Be in charge of your time and focus. Stick to a schedule of 8 hours of work, 8 hours of rest and 8 hours of recreation. This will help you to maintain your emotional well-being and good health. Take care of yourself!
- Confidence does not exist in a vacuum. To be confident, you need to work both inward and outward. Nurture your confidence daily, and be willing to overcome your fears to gain valuable experience.
- The Golden Ratio of Powerfulness. You are a whole person and you need to take care of your body, intelligence and spirit. Work on all three pillars of success equally, so that they are able to carry you even through the hard times.
A major crisis like this is changing a lot. It doesn’t have to be just bad – rather look at it as an opportunity to start fresh from the blank page. But your starting position is much better when you decide to work on yourself during the crisis. It may not be easy, it may not be a short path. But it is possible. You can do it!
Watch the webinar to get more ideas how you could help yourself generally and also professionally! Sign up for the next webinar HERE, and never stop growing!
#powerfulmarketers #marketers #growth #crisismanagement #personaldevelopment #mindset #advice #webinar #discussion #selfanalysis #challenges #opportunities #marketing